How to make a submission
To help you to use the CHS portal effectively, we have created some portal and submission guidance materials. We recommend reading the below guidance as well as the radiograph guidance and procedure notes before making your first submission.
Frequently asked questions
We have created an FAQs document which includes guidance such as how to:
- add other staff to your practice so more than one vet can submit online
- make submissions
- pay for invoices in bulk
- select that the owner is paying directly
- ensure owners receive submission status updates
Registering your practice and personal details
The first time you use the portal, your practice's manager or administrator will need to register the practice. There are vets across the country with similar names so please check the name and postcode before adding your practice. Once you've added your practice, our CHS team will review the details and, if eligible, activate the practice on the portal.
Once you have registered a practice, you can update your personal details, practice details and add other staff to the practice account under the Edit my profile section.
Starting a submission
To start a submission, go to Make a submission on the menu at the top of the page.
Here you will be asked to choose between Standard Submission (not a Kennel Club Assured Breeder) and Assured Breeder Submission. Within those two options you can choose to submit to the Hip Dysplasia Scheme, Elbow Dysplasia Scheme or both the Hip and Elbow Dysplasia Scheme.
You will then be taken to the submission form where you can start filling in the information and uploading the radiographs.
Save your submission and complete it later
If you want to save your submission and return to it later use the Save and Exit button during submitting. Submissions can only be saved after completing the Owners' information stage. You will see your saved submission under Submission history. If you click on the Continue button you can resume your submission.
Paying for a submission
Whilst making a submission, you will be prompted to make payment. You can pay using a credit or debit card or via an invoice. You can also request that a dog’s owner makes payment and have a payment request email automatically sent.
You will find all your pending and paid payments, under Payments. Here, you can also pay all the invoices for your practice by selecting the invoices and then clicking ‘Pay selected’. This batch payment method is a good way to save time.
Please note: Submissions will not be scored or graded until payment has been received in full by CHS.
Checking the progress of your submission
Once you have made your submission you can track the progress within the Submission history section.
Here are the different statuses within the section and what they mean:
- Submitted not paid - you have completed your submission but not yet paid for it so it will not be checked by CHS staff
- Submitted and paid - you have completed your submission and paid so it can now be reviewed by CHS staff in preparation for scoring or grading
- Pending - CHS have reviewed your submission and may have found an issue which they will contact you about
- Allocated - CHS staff have allocated your submission to an examination session
- Scored/Graded - your submission has been scrutinised and a score or grade given. Your certificate should now be available via the portal
- Rejected - CHS scrutineers have not been able to provide a result during the examination session and CHS staff will be in touch to explain why
- Under appeal - the submission is currently under appeal
- Appeal complete - the appeal for the submission is complete
Once your submission has been scored or graded by the CHS scrutineers, a locked PDF copy will be made available in the Submission history section of the portal. You will be able to download a copy for your records and pass on a copy to the dog owner. The results will also be published on the Kennel Club website if the dog is registered with the UK Kennel Club.